[mythtv-users] Myth on AppleTV

Neil Raymond neil_raymond at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 3 13:23:59 UTC 2007

It was me that wrote the wiki entry, so I'll attempt to answer a few of the
questions.

>I was hoping some of your questions could be answered by someone
>currently running the AppleTV with Myth running on it.
>
>I think there are 2 different hacks running:
>
>- AppleTV that boots directly to Myth

This is the route i went down. the OS on the apple tv by default starts up
the application Finder.app,  I changed one of the config entries so that it
starts up MythFrontend.app

>- AppleTV that uses Myth as some type of add-in

There is a plugin available that can run arbitrary applications that are
installed on the apple tv. I tried this initially but I couldn't get it to
work reliably. The problem was that by default the apple tv interface always
tries to put itself on top of any other windows. So you'll be running
something e.g. myth, vlc, but you can't see it. If you kill Finder.app you
briefly see the other app before the finder restarts and covers it again.
The applications plugin claims to alter the finder so that it doesn't always
force itself to the front, but for me it only work once every 2 or 3 times.
The other problem with doing it this way is that every time you want to use
myth you have to start mythfrontend, which takes a while on the appletv.

>Has anyone attempted to play 720p or 1080i MythTV
>recordings through an AppleTV OS X mythfrontend?
>How's the playback quality? Does the video
>acceleration work? From the few AppleTV specs I've
>seen, I wonder if the ATV has sufficient performance
>for HD playback.

Some 720p episodes of Lost I downloaded played ok (although I'm not sure
what they were encoded in). There's no chance of playing 1080i. There was
some discussion about this on a previous thread. MythFrontend can't use the
hardware acceleration, and I don't think this works for any mac front end at
the moment.

>How's the performance as a front end? Is there lag cycling through menus,
>program guide, etc?

It's not super-responsive, put it that way. It takes a couple of seconds to
view the recordings library, and starting to view a recording can take up to
10 seconds. Initially I always thought it was broken just before it started,
but now I've just got used to being patient.

I've been running this for approaching 3 months now, and it's been
brilliant. Other than the slightly slow UI in places as I mentioned above I
can't fault it. I haven't had to reboot it once. I don't use it much for HD
stuff as I don't have any HD sources, so it's just the occasional download -
720p seems to play ok.

In short, even my girlfriend likes it so it must be good ;o)