[mythtv-users] Myarchive - Only part of recording burned and no errors

scott at tbwifi.ca scott at tbwifi.ca
Fri Aug 3 18:28:13 UTC 2007

> On 8/2/07, scott at tbwifi.ca <scott at tbwifi.ca> wrote:
>
>> If I produce an ISO file for the DVD image, do any of the onboard myth
>> tools allow burning an ISO out to the DVD afterwards?  If not, what
>> external tool should I use?  It is a pain to do anything else from X on
>> this box becuase of the overscan problem with the PVR-350 and my version
>> of kernel/ivtv driver.  I haven't yet figured out how to enable my
>> regular
>> CRT head and the PVR output together.  Modifying the Xorg.conf file
>> everytime I change is a real pain.  If someone can assist me being a
>> newbie with a command line technique to burn the DVD ISO, I can always
>> invoke the command from another boxen by logging in remotely.
>
> MythArchive uses growisofs to burn the DVD directly.  You can burn an
> ISO of a DVD using it like so:
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso
>
>> As well, is there a technique to produce the DVD file from native Myth
>> mpeg-2 produced
>> by the PVR-350 using another Linux tool external from Myth?  I have
>> another powerful 64 bit boxen that I could send either the mpg or iso
>> file
>> to that doesn't yet have Myth operational, but may be able to make the
>> DVD's for me.  I only want to go this route if necessary.
>
> Under Linux you can use ffmpeg or mencoder to convert video formats
> easily.  Check out
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-vcd-dvd.html for info
> on how mencoder can be used to produce DVD compliant files.

I thought I would post an update for everyone.  As a recap I am using an
antique AMD K6 2 550 MHz box with 384 MB of RAM (I think).  I survive by
using a PVR-350 for all encoding and decoding.  I have been quite
sucessful to date.  I am able to use lossless transcoding for editing, but
if I don't and I try to change the format I get choppy video and no sound
which suggests a maxed out CPU.  My files to date have been encoded using
the default resolution of 480x480 which is not DVD compliant.  My
Mytharchive attempts as you've seen haven't been sucessful.  I am in the
process of re-recording a 480x480 movie to 352x480 by directing the
PVR-350's output back into itself creating a non-CPU intensive transcoder.
 Assuming it works, I am hoping that I have enough CPU and RAM to create a
DVD from the compliant file.

Any thoughts from the gallery?

If this doesn't work can someone share the package(s) and commands
required to create a DVD from the mpg (mpeg-2) file that the PVR-350
creates?  I would transfer the file to my real box that is still in Myth
development for DVD burning.  Note I use Mandriva 2007 on both boxes, but
the newer one is 64 bit.

SFS