[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu DVD setup for mytharchive use

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 3 21:33:43 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> William Munson wrote:
>
>> Jeff Campbell wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Mario,
>>>
>>>  The dev directory contains several items /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrom1,
>>> /dev/cdrw1, /dev/dvd, and I think /dev/dvd1. So figuring out which one
>>> to use is confusing because both the cdrom drive and dvd drive are not
>>> being recognized.
>>>  I have found some information that I might need to make changes to
>>> the ?etc/fstab file and then I have seen some postings saying you need
>>> to unhide the drive in the ?media directory. What are your thoughts?
>>>
>>> thanks again,
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>
>> Here is a way to find out what your dvd is mapped to. Use the eject
>> command.  eject with no command line options will open the drive door on
>> your default drive. If that works, then use eject -d to print the
>> default device and you will know what its mapped to. If the plain eject
>> command does not work then use eject <device> to figure out which one
>> work. There are several other options that will help if you are still stuck.
>>
>> PS - If you are still having problems, post what version of linux you
>> are running so we can point you to release specific info.
>>

> Why not just try:
>
> ls -l /dev/dvd*
>
> Should tell you what's going on with your DVD drives, even multiple ones.
>
> BEWW

In my case I added a dvd drive after install so none of my symlinks
pointed to the correct device which for some reason was mapped to
/dev/cdrom1. (Maybe because the old drive was cdrom0 even though I
removed it during the upgrade.) In my case your command would not return
the correct info but eject with the actual device name did the trick.
After that I re-linked the standard defines to my device.

Bill