[mythtv-users] A fond farewell, for now

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Aug 3 21:45:28 UTC 2007

> On Aug 2, 2007, at 11:25 PM, M.K. Smith wrote:
>
>> Tom, you noted that your last ubuntu-based install took "only a
>> few hours".  Unfortunately, setting aside even a few hours for
>> a project is a bit of an issue right now; my small business is
>> at a place where it's much, much more profitable for me to
>> concentrate on business and pay the $150/yr for the Cox DVR.
>
> Well, kudos to you for recognizing that fact.  Sometimes it really
> *is* cheaper to pay someone to do something than to do it for
> yourself, and people sometimes lose sight of that fact.

    While this is often true, there is a false assumption underlying
this. Generally, even if you are a genuine sole proprietor there is
not a complete 1:1 correspondence between the time you can waste and
the time you can use to make money.

    However, I can certainly understand not wanting to bother if you
are busy. OTOH, a DTivo is a better PVR than what comcast will give you
and all it did was make my wife want to cancel cable altogether. And she
only had to use it for a couple of days while I figured out what
replacement box to buy, to buy it and to install Ubuntu on it.

    It all boils down to the DTivo not having squat in terms of
storage space. It really limits your flexibility when you've got
3 people in the house that want to record different things.

    Now considering that in my household a bad PVR would likely get
the wife to want to yank cable altogether, I would be much better
off getting a much more expensive & fattened S3 from weaknees than
to get the Comcast PVR (if it came to that).

    Incidentlly, "being too cheap" wrt my frontend is why my original
one bit the big one. I cobbled something together when I really should
have gotten something ready made. In the end, that cost me more money
than I would have spent just by "doing it right" to begin with.

     Those Comcast DVRs have a nasty reputation.