[mythtv-users] mysql permissions problem (long lines of mysql dataquoted)

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 4 00:16:07 UTC 2007

>From: Craig Huff
>
>In trying to add a standalone FE to access my existing combined FE/BE, I
>have run into a snag.
>
>I can't get the FE's mythtv user account to successfully access the mysql
>db on the BE.
>
>I have probably bollixed up the GRANT ALL command to mysql and need help.

The entries in the table actually look ok as far as I can see, though
there's no way to know about the password looking at it.

The first thing you want to do is to try connecting to the database from the
new frontend using the mysql command line along with the mythtv user.  You
need to know what your database password for the mythtv user is supposed to
be.  On most systems the password is 'mythtv', but I think ubuntu uses a
random password.  You can see what password was being used on the
combination frontend/backend by looking at the file
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt and look for the password entry there.

Try the following from a command line on the new frontend, where
nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is the ip address of the backend:

mysql -h nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn -u mythtv -p mythconverg

...and enter the password when you get a prompt.  If you get an error, reply
with it and we can go from there.  That will tell us if it's a mysql
password issue or something else.  It might not be related to grant privs at
all.  If mysql is bound th 'localhost' in the my.cnf file, that can allow
connections from localhost but nowhere else on the lan.  For example, I had
to change the default of:

bind-address                            = 127.0.0.1

...to...

bind-address                             = 192.168.1.51

...on my backend in the my.cnf file or it flat out refused connections.

Tom