[mythtv-users] Dual Core or Dual CPU??

GyroTech gyrotech at freakinabox.com
Sat Aug 4 14:39:20 UTC 2007

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
  > The CPUs are overkill. A PVR-x50 requires little CPU support. The
> PVR-x50 hardware takes care of encoding without involvin the CPU, and
> MPEG decoding is not that demanding. There's nothing wrong with a dual
> Opteron, but if this is all you'll do, a Core 2 Duo will be fine. You
> should splurge for a dual Opteron only if you want to do some heavy
> compiling and building on the same machine.
I was thinking of the DVB-T Nova-T cards, rather than the PVR range -
but then DVB is already in mpeg isn't it?? So that doesn't even need to
encode that :-)

> On the other hand, forget about a RAID card. If that RAID card goes up
> in smoke, you'll need to replace it with an exact same one, otherwise
> the data on those disks will likely be inaccessible. You're better off
> using Linux software RAID. Hardware RAID cards, contrary to one's first
> impression, offer little performance benefit over softraid.

My reasoning for a hardware RAID card was for thoughput. No mobo I could
find would have 8 SATA-II ports on it, and I could only really get PCI
SATA cards, which them severely limits drive performance to the old PCI
bus speed. That, plus the online RAID level changes ( eg RAID 5 -> 6 )
and online expansion seemed to make it worthy. It's fully
hot-swap\hot-spare too, and even has the ability to link up with other
RAID cards of the same chipset to give even more expansion. Really quite
funky for less than 200...

Thanks for the thoughts though - I may have to go look into softraid a
little harder :-)

GT