[mythtv-users] revcommended hardware setup question

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 22:39:54 UTC 2007

On 8/4/07, Tom Poe <tompoe at fngi.net> wrote:

> If I understand things right, mythtv will enable me to use an outdoor
> antenna, and record tv shows.  If this is right, I want to take the next
> step and look for a computer that will act as a dedicated "tv".  What's
> a good starting point for shopping for a computer?  Are there
> preconfigured computers out there?
> Tom

If you are interested in recording over the air (OTA) TV programming, then
you will probably be interested in HDTV.

As far as shopping for computer to serve as a MythTV system, pretty much any
system for sale today will be adequate, but you will probably need to add a
TV tuner card (or purchase an HDHomerun, which will tune TV signals and
stream them over a network connection to a myth system), a remote control,
and possibly a video card.

As for specifics, check out the list archives, they contain a wealth of
information on this topic.

--
TV/IT Engineer
WCJB-TV Gainesville, FL