[mythtv-users] Problems connecting to backend server from new frontend

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 04:01:37 UTC 2007

I've just set up Mythdora 3.2 on a leftover PC, configuring it as a frontend
only. I've set it up to connect to my backend server. It can connect to the
server and sees the shows that have been recorded, but when I try to launch
a recording the screen briefly flickers before returning me back to the
Mythtv UI.

In the past I've been able to connect to the backend using XBMCTV (Xbox
Media Center) and viewed recordings, so it shouldn't be a permissions issue.
IIRC I told the server to allow all SQL connections from my subnet.  In
addition I can connect to the backend over SQL via the command mysql -h "
192.168.2.98 -u mythtv -p" and entering the standard mythtv password, the
same that is specified for mythconverg in the frontend's setup.

The one sticking point - The frontend is currently a dynamic IP that doesn't
reverse-resolve via DNS. Does MythTV care? I've told it to identify itself
as frenzy.jerkychew.local, which from what I can tell is just used as a
unique identifier in the Backend's database. Is there something obvious I'm
missing?