[mythtv-users] Re: Dual Core or Dual CPU??

Gene Stapp genestapp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 04:23:21 UTC 2007

 On 8/4/07, GyroTech <gyrotech[at]freakinabox.com> wrote:
> I was looking at forking out for a dual Opteron setup, but since these
> Core 2 Duos have come out they seem to be able to handle a fair grunt.
> So, has anyone worked with either\both setups care to give me an honest
> opinion on what they would do. Obviously the Intel chips and lower power
> and price on their side, but Opterons have the increased bus bandwidth
> (which helps greatly in the transcoding) and redundancy on their side.

I'll throw my hat into the ring. I don't have exactly the system I'm
recommending but mine won't work for you due to the requirement of 4 pci
slots. I am using backend only Asus P5W DH deluxe and a Intel E2160 core 2
duo processor (undervolted). This server also does my mail system,
torrenting, usenet downloads and ftp/web serving.

I would recommend this hardware for you due to a combination of reasons:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 Socket AM2 - 4 pci slots, 2 x1 pci-e slots
and a pci-e x16 slot (usable at x8 for other cards) along with a built in
geforce 6100 among other things. Very nice board.
Processor: I'd go with the AMD be-2300 due to it only using 45 watts of
power and performing between a 3800+x2 and a 4400+x2. Cost of about eighty
five dollars. Or you could go with a 3600+x2 for sixty five dollars but it
will cost you more in the long run if it's always on due to long term power
costs.

I've got two software raids of 5 sata 2 drives at the moment. The way I
would go about using that motherboard with software raid would be to get a
single pci-e x1 sata 2 Silicon image chipset card that has 2 channels. Then
use a 5 port - Sata port multiplier of these types:

PMP support is tested with the following controllers.

* Silicon Image 3124	(1095:3124)
* Silicon Image 3132	(1095:3132)
* Intel ICH9R		(8086:2922)
* JMicron JMB360	(197b:2360)
* JMicron JMB363	(197b:2363)

With the following Port Multipliers.

* Silicon Image 3726	(1095:3726)
* Silicon Image 4726	(1095:4726)
* Silicon Image 5744	(1095:5744)

Information on port multiplier patch for current linux kernel is here:
http://home-tj.org/wiki/index.php/Libata-tj-stable

I have two silicon image 3132s, and a Jmicron JMB360 along with two addonics
internal port multipliers. Cost of port multiplier and pci-e x1 sata 2
channel card = around a hundred dollars. Maximum speed through pci-3 x1
interface is 250MB/s.
WIth linux software raid you can do online capacity expansion. I've done
this about 5 times now and added the entry on how to do it to the myth raid
wiki. I use xfs and it can take anywhere from 3 to 8 hours for a drive to be
fully added to a raid 5 array.
Now with the motherboard above and using port multipliers and multiple pci-e
sata 2 cards you have expandability of greater than 80 drives. Each x1 card
is two channel and can handle two port multipliers. Also on the x16 slot you
could put a x4 or greater pci-e card in there that supports port mulipliers
and have 4 (largest one I've seen currently that has those chipsets above)
or more available channels for even more port multipliers. :)

Using the xfs file system and chunk sizes of 256KB the speeds on the raid
arrays around 100MB/s burst and between 60-80MB/s sustained for the array
made up of 500GB seagate 7200.10s. Also it can handle so far up to 4 HD
streams (mythtv multirec branch) an sd stream and real time commflagging and
serve two frontends at the same time.
I'll be updating my user page with new information/pictures hopefully when I
can find some time this week.
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Blackoper