[mythtv-users] OT: Help selecting PCI SATA card

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 13:35:11 UTC 2007

On 8/6/07, Robert Logan <bert at p3rf3ct.com> wrote:

> Harry Orenstein wrote:
> > This is definitely off topic for this list, but I think that this is a
> good
> > place to ask, so...
> >
> > I have a MB (Asus A7V8X-X) that does not have SATA ports and only
> supports PCI
> > cards.  I want to add storage to be able to keep more recorded programs,
> so I
> > bought a 500GB SATA HD.  The question is, what is the best SATA chipset
> for
> > PCI?  My choices are either a no-name SIL3112 card, a no-name VIA6421
> card or
> > a Promise S150-TX2plus.
> >
> > Between these choices, does anyone have a suggestion?  I run FC6 and
> plan on
> > going to F7 or F8 eventually, if that makes any difference.  My concerns
> are
> > what is currently best supported by libata and what will be best
> supported by
> > libata in the future.  I fully intend to eventually upgrade my MB and go
> > onboard SATA, but until then...
>
> Ive had the same issue - using a noname SIL3112 card - uses the
> sata_sil module - no issues - been running it for several months
> now.

I'm currently running FC4 on an Asus A7N8X-DLX board on my MythBE.  I've got
5 x 500GB Seagate SATA II drives (software RAID 5) 4 of which are running
off a Promise 300TX4 PCI card.  The fifth is running off one of the onboard
SATA I interfaces.  It's been running great since February when I built the
array.  There have been no problems with throughput with this odd setup
either.  I would really recommend that card as I just plugged it in and it
worked.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816102065

I don't recall paying that price for it, but it still works great.  I also
picked up one of these to make pulling drives easy if/when one of them goes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817995001

It's all working great.  Good luck!

Jim