[mythtv-users] Anyone have any luck running Myth in VMWare?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 16:10:25 UTC 2007

On 8/6/07, Jarom McDonald <jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu> wrote:

> The problem with Myth in the virtual machine may not be VMWare at all;
> it may be Vista, which takes an enormous amount of resources. A few
> things to check:
> 1) make sure that you have the VMWare settings to reserve the entire 1GB
> of RAM for the virtual machine. This isn't the default; by default,
> VMware shares all the memory, so Vista may be hogging too much of it,
> causing your VM to start swapping.
> 2) Additionally, even if you've got a full 1GB reserved for the virtual
> machine, there's also about 100 MB of overhead, so if Vista is left with
> only 900MB of ram it may be doing some swapping itself, clogging up your
> disk I/O. Try creating your virtual machine on a separate physical disk,
> if that's possible.
> 3) Try it on XP, as others have suggested, which is a far less
> resource-intensive OS.
>
> Let me know if your have any luck with Parallels instead. I know that
> for Mac OS X, it's really a bastardized virtualization option, as it
> can't even access both cores of a Duo Core machine. I don't know what
> its  track record on Windows is, though.
>
> Jarom McDonald
>
> David Whyte wrote:
> > On 8/6/07, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I think he's actually rolling back his Vista install to a clean XP
> install,
> >> so it might be an option. :)
> >

> > A couple of points:
> >
> > - I had myth running in VMware just fine.  Using XP host, Ubuntu 7.04
> > (pre-release) guest on a 2GHz laptop (old Pentium M chip, not dual
> > core).  I made the move to linux on the laptop though so I blew the
> > client away, sorry!
> > - I don't think winmyth works with the latest version of mythTV.  I
> > never got it to work good *ever* regardless of the mythTV version.
> > - There was another client called Tapeworm or something.  I had some
> > good success with that but I have no idea where it is up to now.  Try
> > searching the mailing list for the web page.
> >
> > HTH's
> > Whytey

Thanks for all the tips so far. To respond to your emails:

1 & 2) I've set it to reserve the GB of RAM. The host OS never used more
than 1.6GB RAM total, including the VM, which means it never went into true
pagefile territory. I'm only on one physical disk, but it is SATA 3 GB/sec.
I'll take a look at the disk activity and see if it's really being hammered.
I'll probably fire up perfmon and look at the queue length, for starters.

3) I don't have the resources to try XP on this machine, without messing
with dual booting and the like. Unfortunately it's a Dell machine with no
IDE controllers, and both SATA ports are taken up by the disk and DVD
drives.

I haven't done much testing with Parallels yet, but from what I understand
it uses a different hypervisor than  VMWare, one that my BIOS supports, so
it _should_ be able to access hardware directly. Unfortunately my first load
results in Mythdora freaking out and not being able to boot after install.
That's on Mythdora 3.2 / FC5, so I'm going to try MythDora 4 / FC 6 tonight
and see what happens.