[mythtv-users] DVD Truncating (Underworld Evolution)

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 6 17:53:58 UTC 2007

>From: "John P Poet"
>
>Underworld has Sony's latest, greatest copy protection on it.  Last I
>checked, none of the Linux based decryptors could handle it.  I ended
>up ripping it using DVDfab under XP, then copying it over to my linux
>box.
>
>http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
>
>John
>--

He was referring to playing rather than ripping.  It's been my experience
that xine has no problem playing those Sony abominations.  It wouldn't
surprise me if it trips up the mythtv internal player though.

To be honest, lately, unless I really want to see a dvd in the worst way, I
pass when I see www.SonyPictures.com on the back, just out of principle.
They can stick their intentionally defective products up their ass as far as
I'm concerned. </rant>

By the way...this page describes a backup method using vlc that works:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Backup_a_DVD

Tom