CHRIS KOTTING ckotting at wideopenwest.com
Tue Aug 7 21:07:41 UTC 2007

I have to admit I'm a bit stunned by some of you folks who are getting
upset/bent out of shape/downright paranoid about SchedulesDirect.org, and
what the folks behind it are up to.

It is human natire for silence to be disconcerting, but consier this.

SchedulesDirect is put together by the same folks who devoted a lot of
personal time and effort to write MythTV in the first place, and keep it
maintained (along with a few other folks who did the same for similar
apps).  These are the same people that you trusted to write code that:
- kept track (in a database) what shows you chose to record.
- generally ran continuously on a machine, in your home, on your local
network, usually behind your firewall.
- communicated regularly with the internet.

Unless you presonally reviewed each and every line of code in every branch
you ever implemented, you have already trusted these folks not to screw you
over in far more serious ways than even the wildest suppositions I've seen
bandied about by some.

Come on, people.  I think the folks involved have earned more respect and
trust than they are getting from some quarters of the list.  If you want to
develop an alternative, go for it.  That's what Open Source is about.

But please have a little respect for the developers who gave you the code
you're working on.  At the very least don't publicly impugn their motives.