Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 21:52:58 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> I know a lot of people dislike Paypal, but there really aren't many
> other realistic options for accepting online payments.  Getting a
> merchant account is a considerable ongoing expense and a major risk
> for a small company.

What is this risk exactly?  I've had a merchant account before, it
really isn't a big deal at all.

They are out there, and really easy to get.  Much easier than filing
non-profit tax status or getting a buisness licence, or any of the
other stuff that seems to have been done.

We're talking about $5 to $15 per month basic fees, and a much lower
transaction and fee cost structure than PayPal.  There are actually
quite a few online services offered with no terminal required and good
security.  It's a very very competitive business, where merchant
account providers are constantly trying to undercut the fees of their
competitors to gain more business.

I know some people like paypal because the huge popularity and brand
name recognition, but it's really just an online merchant account,
like any other...  and one of the highest cost ones around.  It is NOT
the only solution, and NOT safer, or cheaper.