Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Tue Aug 7 22:15:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, August 8, 2007 7:59 am, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/07/2007 03:46 PM, Robert Current wrote:
>> TMS is Zap2it.  So, this is going to be the same old data, with new
>> location to download from, and a price tag?
>>
>> Hmm...  Just a legal question, but isn't EIT data unencrypted, and
>> technically "free-2-air" data?  Granted, the sat-to-cable listings
>> associations aren't easy.
>
> Sure.  That's a great idea.  Anyone in the US who wants the data to be
> free should just change over their video sources to "EIT only" video
> sources and start to use the EIT data.
>
> That will cause a /lot/ of people who are now complaining about paying
> to go out and sign up for--and pay for--Schedules Direct.  (Start using
> EIT only and you'll know why.)
>
> Mike

True, EIT data can be crap. Hence projects like epgsnoop that add value to
it.

Also true NZ is a smaller and more integrated market (ie there are
probably only 3 groups of subscribers, Sky TV, Feeview DVB-S and FTA
analogue, very few regional stations) - but similar projects could be
developed to get EIT data and then manipulate it to something more usable..

I use epgsnoop derived data and it is not bad, but I suspect not as good
as zap2it's data you North Americans have got used to.

I say to all you Americans, get in the real world. You have had it good,
now you either need to pay, or get behind the development of an
alternative. But the last thing you need to do is b****y well complain. By
no means everyone on this list is North American and I for one get a
little tired of the constant consternation and grizzling about your epg
data. Get over it. (That para is obviously not aimed at you Michael, your
post was just a useful point to reply to about manipulation of EIT data.)

Oh and if Isaac and the other founders of schedulesdirect make a little
money selling you some data, good on them. They deserve it for the fine
job they have done on various open source projects they have been involved
in. I for one don't believe they will gouge or profiteer it, but if they
get some return then good on them. Any of you could do the same - there is
no magic hook in MythTV - all you need to do is aggregate some data and
publish it in a well defined public format (xmltv) and you can sell it
too. But if I had to make the choice I'd rather give my monety to Isaac et
al, because of the fine service they have give to our community.

--
Nick Rout