Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 7 23:19:50 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 07 August 2007 17:10, John Drescher wrote:

>  I have never seen or agreed to license agreement on any printed material.
> Although, I knew the copyright laws applied. I know I can photocopy a
> printed work as long as I own the work and I do not give the photocopy to
> anyone.
>
> The license can impose conditions over and above what the copyright laws
>
> > impose.
>
> I understand that.
>

> You definitely can't "use it however you want".
>

> I know you can not give it to  anyone so that is not what I meant.

An example would be my situation: I have a program called EyeTV, which I paid
for. It gets listings from TitanTV (who apparently gets the information from
TMS).

When TMS made their announcement I thought about using the Titan info for
MythTV, so I looked at the license I agreed to by using the software (and I
don't want to get into the enforceability of "click through" or "break seal"
licenses).

Although written in the best legalese, it seems to say that I can only use the
information with the software it came bundled with, thus using it for Myth
would violate the license.

Granted, if I did use it for Myth, I doubt I would get "caught" or penalized
in any way, but I feel I did agree to the license and I will abide by the
terms. Even if I did not distribute the data, using it in violation if the
license terms is "wrong", IMHO.

--
BEWW