[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 02:34:40 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 08/07/2007 09:55 PM, Robert Current wrote:
> > Actually, in the end, odds are there will be enough EIT data out there
> > that this will all become totally irreverent anyway.
>
> I'd say it's a bit irreverent even now.  As a matter of fact, probably
> even irrelevant.
>
> >   And, if my cable
> > company started pumping out EIT, or there was a slick interface to
> > pull EIT through a DishNetwork
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1056
>
> > or DirecTV tuner, I'd probably pay for
> > that service, and live with it.
>
> Really?  Pay $10/mo (for locals only plus subscriber fee for not getting
> a package) for a system that forces you to pay $5/mo extra for each STB
> (to cover the cost of listings) so that you don't have to pay for, er,
> listings (at a cost that's almost definitely going to be less than that
> for DISH).  And, such that you can only get standard-def captured by an
> analog capture card?

Ok, well, first of all... one must make some assumptions, and you know
what people say about that.  But, assuming we are talking about $5 to
$15 data fees being an issue for MythTV users, we can assume these are
low end systems, on old PCs, with low cost subscriptions to cable, or
an OTA tuner.  So, odds are that not getting HDTV isn't an issue now.
When the day comes that it is, EIT data will be there anyway.

Next, if someone is paying $19 for basic cable, DishNetwork offers a
$19 option anyway advertised constantly locally here in my area.  If
that included guide data, then it's a bargain.

However.....  Continuing to make assumptions...

It's pretty well known (in other lists/forums) that the EIT data works
for BEV, but not for DishNetwork.  And rather than do the fix,
developers are off starting a system to charge for the data....

Now, developers can do whatever they want, on OSS projects.  But when
they ask for money, not donations, people logically start to consider
commercial alternatives for similar cost.

If one were to assume... However...  It's not really what I asked.

What I asked was about listing data, online, for a fee... what's out
there, and what's being promised by each provider, for how much money.
 Is there an online free alternitive?