[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 04:59:11 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2007, at 9:32 PM, Robert Current wrote:
> > (EIT taboo subjects).
>
> Eh?  Why do you say EIT is taboo?  I've heard it discussed here
> several times, but from what I understand the EIT data provided by
> U.S. broadcasters is extremely limited, making it not very useful.
>
> Heck, it's even supported already:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/EIT
>
> I'm not sure where these rumors about taboo subjects and people
> getting booted off the list for talking about alternative scheduling
> sources come from.

Ok, well, I'll say it then and see what happens.

Over on http://dvbn.happysat.org forums, there seem to be a lot of
people (that I haven't seen on this list) who have EIT working for
BEV, but can't get EIT working for Dish Network.  That includes people
using trunk and fixes (new versions), and includes posts I've seen in
the last 7 days (recently).

So, legal or not, I'd guess that's not a solution (yet).  But one
willing to break the law and grab data out of the air would might be
able to do it for a $40 PCI card, and $40 used dish, and get all the
channels they want, and all the guide data they want, free, with
slightly flaky listing data, that "might" be stable soon.

But, I am trying to do some sysadmin support a few people who won't do
the illegal decrypt Dish Network stuff, so they are looking for a free
data source for listing data.  They say they are paying COX now,
because they get a good deal on high speed internet AND cable, and
would like to stick with a good, legal, safe solution.  They said they
have free data from COX on the website, and free data from
titantv.com, and want to know with all the free data, why should they
pay anything?  So I promised to ask on this forum, only to get really
hostile reactions.

What are the odds this post won't get killed or get me banned by some admin?