[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Wed Aug 8 05:49:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, August 8, 2007 4:32 pm, Robert Current wrote:
> On 8/7/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
>>
>> More FUD.  There's been no suggestion so far that their code won't be
>> OSS; in fact, I seriously doubt it.
>
> They have released no code.  They have released a statment they will
> require money for the service.  And I said, "does anyone know" and
> your reply seems to be, you don't know either.

I am struggling to see what code is needed. Myth can, at present, use ANY
data in xmltv format. Seriously, u just download the data from ANY source
that is set up, run mythfilldatabase and there you are. No coding needed,
except a 3 line script into cron, something like:

wget -quiet http://my.fee.com/data.xml.gz
gunzip -f data.xml
mythfilldatabase  --file -1 cardnumber data.xml

There is no risk that myth needs updating, or that you are restricted to
one provider. No-one has suggested that myth will abandon support for
xmltv data, and so long as it is supported you are free to choose any
provider you like and not change your mythtv codebase at all.

--
Nick Rout