[mythtv-users] Dish Network DVB Legally with Myth (was Re: Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org)

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Wed Aug 8 16:18:34 UTC 2007

> I'd love to get the original Dish data stream digitally into Myth.  This is
> the first I've heard of anyone being able to do that with legal methods.  I

 There are no legal methods (in the US at least) for accessing the video/audio content that is broadcasted in an encrypted form. The EIT data however is not encrypted and if you have a standard DVB-S card you can receive it.

> receiver card is needed due to the encryption; is there a DVB-S card with a
> Dish smartcard reader, or how is this done?  Or are people not getting the

 In the past there was but unfortunately they stopped letting those be used a long time ago.

> actual progamming into Myth digitally, but only the EIT data?

 Those getting the raw signal are not doing so legally. (In the US)