[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Aug 8 16:38:18 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 08 August 2007 10:59, Brett Kosinski wrote:
> > I think the safest thing a person could do is to get some sort of prepaid
> > credit card, and use it like a wallet.. don't put more money in it than
> > you can stand to lose.  I'd just as soon not have someone max out a CC
> > with a $15K limit...
>
> Since when did consumers lose when a CC number is stolen?  You just call
> the CC company and tell them to reverse the charges.  Really, the only
> people who get screwed in this situation are the merchants (and for the
> record, they get screwed *hard*).

<sad yet hysterical laughter></sad yet hysterical laughter>

It took me about six months to resolve problems with bogus charges on a credit
card. Some scum racked up thousands of dollars in charges in Korea on my
card, in little ~$50 charges. Every time I called my credit card company,
they said they'd fix the problem, but the next month the charges (and
interest on them!) were still there. I wrote, but except for the first
letter, they ignored me. I finally got the dispute resolved, but it cost me
months of aggravation and many hours of effort. Of course, I immediately
cancelled the credit card once this was done; I refuse to do business with
any company that treats me like that. The point is that consumers' legal
protections amount to nothing if the credit card company drags its heels over
resolving a dispute. You do **NOT** want to go there!

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com