Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 8 17:28:55 UTC 2007

On 08/08/2007 12:38 PM, Braindead wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:09:50 -0700 (PDT) "Kai Holthaus"
> <kmh at sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:20:51 -0400 Braindead
>> <Braindead at diablops.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The thing that bugs me the most is that the listing data should
>>> be free to the non commercial end users. It's in the best
>>> interest of the TV stations to let you know what is on, when it's
>>> on..etc. The problem is that TMS wants to treat end users the
>>> same way they treat commercial entities that make money from the
>>> listings.
>>
>> The thing that bugs you is based on a fundamental misunderstanding.
>>
>> The *data* IS free. Nobody makes you pay for going to ABC's, NBC's,
>>  BBC's, and whoever else's website and get the information on
>> what's on, when it's on, and why you should watch it. You can get
>> the data as an add-on to your daily newspaper (making it somewhat
>> free, assuming that one buy's the newspaper for other reasons
>> beside getting the daily TV schedule). However, NBC has no interest
>> in providing you with information what's on ABC, and therefore you
>> will not get all the information in one place.
>>
>> This is where TMS comes in. They provide a *service*. The service
>> is to collect the data and provide it to you in a neat package,
>> easy to use. It's the electronic version of a magazine that does
>> nothing more than show you what's on during the next week or so.

Wow.  A rare sensible post int he "Supporting schedulesdirect.org"
thread.  Thank you, Kai, and I totally agree.

> There are plenty of free places to get the information all in one
> place.  TVGuide.com, some others that have been mentioned here.

And funny enough, they all seem to have Terms of Service/Terms of Use
that forbid you to "copy, modify, publish, transmit, distribute,
perform, display, participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative
works, or in any way exploit the content of tvguide.com or any portion
thereof." (That specifically, among other rules, from
http://www.tvguide.com/services/Terms.aspx .)  I'm pretty sure stripping
the data from the site and putting it into your mythconverg database is
considered copying the data (and, likely, creating a derivative work).

> I think you're missing the point by assuming there's anything on TV
> that I want to watch bad enough to pay for listing services.  There
> is not.

I just have to wonder, are you using an antenna and receiving only OTA
(non-subscription-based) programming content?  If not, I think this is a
/really/ hypocritical thing to say: "I pay for 500 channels of TV on my
cable/satellite subscription, but I'm not darn-fool enough to pay for
listings because there's nothing on those channels (that I /pay/ for)."
(I happen to have an antenna and only OTA reception.)

If you do have a cable/satellite subscription, I would understand your
making the argument, "I already pay for listings data (through my
cable/satellite subscription), so I shouldn't have to pay again for that
data."  And, I actually agree with that statement:  you shouldn't have
to pay again for that data.  And you don't.  You can choose to use the
cable/satellite company-provided DVR solutions.  You've paid for a
license to use that data with those DVR's.  If you call up your
cable/satellite company and ask them if you've paid for a license to use
their data on your Myth box, chances are they'll say something to the
effect of, "What?  I don't know what you mean, but I can get a
technician out there to install a DVR for you," (which, I'm pretty sure
means, "No.  You can use the data with our DVR.").

> If these broadcasters want my eyes on their shows, I'm not paying for
> it.

I'm not so sure they do.  Did you notice that just weeks before Jericho
was canceled at the end of last season, the actors on the show appealed
to its fans trying to convince them to watch the show as it aired and to
stop "TiVo'ing" the show because CBS felt that the viewers were not the
viewers the advertisers (who pay for the broadcasts) wanted (because
most would skip/fast forward over commercials).  When people continued
to timeshift the series, CBS canceled it after the season finale.  But,
there were enough people watching the show that it was resurrected after
fans sent (literally) tons of nuts to CBS headquarters (basically the
last line of the show was the main character saying, "Nuts!").  As of
now, the show will return in the fall, but it's likely to get pulled
again because of the low number of "on-time" viewers--it's basically on
probation.  And, I have to admit that I'm not the kind of viewer CBS
wants (as I'm a timeshifter who skips commercials).

>  Simple as that. I'll miss the data only for the simplicity of
> recording the couple of shows that we watch on occasion.  Manually
> scheduling them will cost me nothing.
>
> I'm sure I'm not the typical MythTV user...

And feel free to take that approach.  If it works for you, fine.

Mike