[mythtv-users] USB IR receiver for Harmony remote

Mike LaPlante mike at dividia.net
Wed Aug 8 18:09:07 UTC 2007

David Segall wrote:

> Why bother with an IR keyboard? An ordinary keyboard can do everything
> an IR keyboard or a remote can do and is available at boot time or when
> lirc is not running. I'm happy with my "Adesso Wireless Slimtouch Mini"
> <http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=281>. It includes a
> laptop-style touchpad. I liked the look of the Logitech DiNovo Edge
> <http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/192&cl=us,en>
>    but decided on the smaller, lighter and significantly cheaper Adesso.

Aye, I have a Logitech RF keyboard (3 or 4 actually) and I keep it
behind the TV for whenever I need it. Like during reboots or LIRC
troubleshooting, etc. But it just doesn't look appealing sitting on my
couch and its cumbersome to use. Plus teaching my girlfriend that "[" is
volume down and "]" is volume up can be frustrating. And even though she
would eventually learn every time company comes over they'd be lost.

I may be looking at the IR Adesso's so I can program the Harmony.
However, I'd like to just figure out a way for the Harmony to emulate an
IR keyboard and still use the SteamZap receiver. Not really sure that is
possible, unless I can find an lircd.conf file that someone generated
with their IR keyboard.