Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Aug 8 20:12:55 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 14:02 -0400, Don Smith wrote:
> Why has nobody looked at getting the data out of the vbi? Also why
> doesn't mythtv set system time with the rds data?

I looked at this, the data is very limited. Basically now and next
if you are lucky. You can see the data coming over the line if you
run "mythbackend -v vbi". We do use this information in the frontend
channel editor when we're trying to map channels on your cable system
to the channels at Labs.

As for the time, we don't collect this from vbi, but we do collect
it from EIT. The channels are supposed to be within a second of GPS
time, but in practice are 3 to 30 seconds out of sync. I forget which
verbose argument will get you this info, but I'm sure that
"mythbackend -v eit,siparser,channel,record" will get you this along
with some other information. Since most MythTV boxes are conntected
to a network and can use NTP time allowing the clock to be set from
these unreliable sources has been a low priority.

-- Daniel