[mythtv-users] Which distro for new system?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Aug 8 21:16:59 UTC 2007

On Aug 8, 2007, at 2:11 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> Gentoo
> seems to be one of the last distros you see recommended for mythtv,
> but I
> really think it's arguably one of the best for the purpose.  I was
> glad to
> see others here bring it up.

One caveat -- if you're building a miniITX system based on one of
VIA's processors, you should either have a lot of time on your hands,
or plan on using distcc to let another machine help with
compilation.  gcc is extraordinarily slow on VIA CPUs, probably
because of their limited cache sizes.  If you offload some of the
compilation to another machine with distcc, things will go much faster.