[mythtv-users] MythWeb Access Help

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Aug 9 06:50:06 UTC 2007

On Aug 8, 2007, at 11:35 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 08/08/2007 08:45 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> Can someone help me figure out how to restrict access to certain
>> areas of MythWeb?
>>
>> My mythweb install is internet-accessible. Right now I'm using
>> an .htaccess file at the root of the mythweb directory to limit
>> access to only valid users. I want to give access to my music library
>> to my kids, but I don't want them messing with scheduling or
>> streaming video or anything like that. Initially, I want to have two
>> levels of security. One that allows full control of everything in
>> mythweb and it's children and one that only allows access to mythweb/
>> music/. Any ideas on the best way to implement this (also without
>> having to log in twice if I log in with my account and want to listen
>> to music)? I'm using Apache 2.2.4.
>
> Better start writing the PHP support for users into MythWeb.
> Really, to
> do it right, you should first write the C++ multi-user support for
> MythTV (mythbackend/mythfrontend).  Only then will you be able to
> integrate MythWeb's functionality into the multi-user MythTV
> appropriately.
>
> Mike

Maybe someone who is familiar with apache access and how mythweb
works that can suggest a *helpful* way of doing what I would like to
do. Give access to /mythweb/music, but not to /mythweb/anything/else.

My work-around solution at the moment is to set up a virtual host
that only includes mythweb/music/* with its own access levels that
happen to also include my original access. I haven't tried it, but I
assume it will work. Is this the best way?

There is no way you can convince me the best way to do that is to
write a bunch of C++ and PHP code implemented a fully integrated Myth
+ MythWeb user authentication system from scratch. But it's late, so
I'll assume you had a long day/need some sleep and let this one
slide. :)

-Brad