[mythtv-users] MythWeb Access Help

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Thu Aug 9 07:05:05 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 23:50 -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2007, at 11:35 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > Better start writing the PHP support for users into MythWeb.
> > Really, to
> > do it right, you should first write the C++ multi-user support for
> > MythTV (mythbackend/mythfrontend).  Only then will you be able to
> > integrate MythWeb's functionality into the multi-user MythTV
> > appropriately.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Maybe someone who is familiar with apache access and how mythweb
> works that can suggest a *helpful* way of doing what I would like to
> do. Give access to /mythweb/music, but not to /mythweb/anything/else.

Hmm... I have my apache setup to authenticate against LDAP.  You'd
probably need a <Directory /mythweb> stanza that contains entries
allowing only users from a certain group to hit the page, then one
for /mythweb/modules/music (or /mythweb/music) that has a group entry
that contains a larger list of users.  But that won't scale.  For
example, they won't be able to hit the main mythweb page...

So that would be a broken solution from the outset...

> My work-around solution at the moment is to set up a virtual host
> that only includes mythweb/music/* with its own access levels that
> happen to also include my original access. I haven't tried it, but I
> assume it will work. Is this the best way?

As a workaround, probably... but you're probably better off using
something else for web-accessible music and configuring apache for
that... at least for now - it saves reinventing the wheel...

> There is no way you can convince me the best way to do that is to
> write a bunch of C++ and PHP code implemented a fully integrated Myth
> + MythWeb user authentication system from scratch. But it's late, so
> I'll assume you had a long day/need some sleep and let this one
> slide. :)

Actually, after thinking about it for a bit, the best way WOULD be to
implement multiple users inside myth.  Then mythweb would be able to
leverage it... but that's a long-term solution... ;)

In fact, it was tried before during last year's Google SoC, no?

Of course, I'd love it if it could all be integrated into LDAP if it
were done, but I doubt that would happen - probably easier to integrate
if the users were in mysql...

	-I