[mythtv-users] A hope regarding the new SchedulesDirect methodology

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 9 07:40:20 UTC 2007

On 08/08/2007 11:41 PM, Ian Forde wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 22:02 -0500, Robert Eden wrote:
>
>> On 8/8/2007 8:01 PM, Ian Forde wrote:
>>
>>> In my myth setup, I have to use 2 Z2L accounts in order to get my
>>> listings.  I'd just like to remind the powers-that-be that there may be
>>> many people out there in the same scenario, and hope that we wouldn't
>>> have to sign up twice to SchedulesDirect to get the equivalent
>>> functionality.  I always found that to be a peculiar aspect of
>>> labs.zap2it.com in that one could only choose one listing of each type
>>> from a given account, so I couldn't have say...
>> The solution is to filter channels on the client side.   Maybe the
>> capability will be added to the native myth grabber, but if not, feel
>> free to use the XMLTV grabber as it can filter at the client level.  I
>> believe current versions of  the myth XMLTV loader finds all the
>> "special" fields that Z2L provided, and XMLTV put in "strange" places.
>> If  they missed some, I'm sure I can work it out with them.
>>
> I think I see what you mean - so I should have one "unified" listing,
> then use the channel editor in myth to disable the
> non-working-per-cable-box per tuner, right?

That won't work.  Currently, each video source must have a unique lineup
(by design).

The patch at http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3299 will allow you to
use a single ("meta") lineup for multiple video sources.  However,
before it's integrated into mythfilldatabase, mfdb should be modified to
notice that multiple sources use the same lineup and cache the
downloaded listings data.

When the patch is applied in its current state, mfdb will download the
exact same data for the meta-lineup once for each video source that uses
the lineup.  Therefore, applying the patch to "upstream" without
modifying mfdb to allow caching means that for a user with 2 "cable"
sources, instead of downloading two "smaller" lineups, the lineups would
be combined into one larger lineup, which would be downloaded twice.
(Granted, it's likely that one lineup is basic cable and the other
includes basic cable and more, so one is a larger lineup and one is
smaller, but 1+1/2 or 1+1/3 is still smaller than 1+1.)

Because of this, Robert's XMLTV-based approach (with caching -
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/283058#283058 ) is
currently the preferred approach.  And, Robert's approach will work for
0.20-fixes users as well as trunk users, regardless of whether they
compile themselves or use packages.

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/264755#264755 for more.

Mike