[mythtv-users] USB IR receiver for Harmony remote (Jay Mallar)

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 11:19:29 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Calin,
>
> I hope you are still open to requests.  I bought an MS MCE receiver
> today, it is model 1040, which must be a newer 2nd generation (or
> perhaps 3rd gen) model.
>
> I have it setup on my Ubuntu laptop and I can use the MS remote fine
> to control mythTV, however, I would like to use my currently
> configured Harmony remote, which is setup to emulate an MS Xbox
> Remote.  (Long story, but I often view mythTV on the Xbox FE, but
> would like to have the option to use my laptop as a FE too).
>
> The Xbox remote is not recognised at all though.  The receiver lights
> up as though it is getting a signal from the remote but irrecord
> doesn't show up anything :(  I am also using the lircd.conf from my
> Xbox but irw doesn't show anything either :(
>
> Could you test your Harmony with the MS MCE receiver using the
> (original) Xbox codes?

Why do I always find the answer just ten seconds after posting a
question to the list?

Anyways, I managed to get irrecord to work by running it as root and
using the device '/dev/lirc0' instead of '/dev/lircd'.  I then added
the couple of extra bits of data that were in the  conf file created
into my lircd.conf (such as 'eps' and 'aeps') and it is all now
working.

w00t!!!

Cheers,
Whytey