[mythtv-users] "Ultimate" MythTV remote setup?

Brad Staton brad.staton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 15:17:39 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/9/07, Mark Lehrer <mark at knm.org> wrote:
> >
> > OK my wife has thrown down the gauntlet - get an easier-to-use remote
> > setup or get rid of the entire home theater setup.  Has anyone out
> > there found the ultimate remote control for a setup like mine?
> >
> > What I have currently:
> >
> > TV, receiver, Dish PVR, MythTV - normal operation requires 2 remotes
> > plus RF keyboard for Myth.
> >
> > What I would love:
> >
> > 1 remote that can work for normal day-to-day operations - easy enough
> > that an Amish person can figure it out.  I don't mind breaking out the
> > keyboard or unit-specific remotes for things like configuring
> > speakers, or mythtv command line settings, but nobody other than me
> > should ever have to do this.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > I don't mind replacing any or all equipment that I have, for example I
> > think most of my devices only have a toggle for on/off, which makes it
> > completely impossible to keep power in sync for the TV and receiver.
> > Also, my 1st-gen HDTV has a VGA & component input, so it may not be
> > possible to find a receiver that can handle video switching properly.
> > This requires a remote that I can program.  My Sony "universal" remote
> > doesn't do DVR well at all, and switching components requires holding
> > the button in for like 5 seconds, not really user friendly.  Of
> > course, a remote that requires me to buy Windows in order to program
> > is not acceptable.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark

> Harmony Remotes... easy as pie.
>
> Thanks!
> Matt

I'll second or third the Harmony recommendation.  I picked up the 880 a
couple of years ago and have never regretted it, but any of the Harmony
models should be able to do what you'd like.  The initial setup can take a
while (depending on the complexity of your home theater), but once it's done
you'll love it.

--
--Brad Staton
Brad.Staton at gmail.com