Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 9 17:25:41 UTC 2007

On 08/09/2007 09:03 AM, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> David Shay [david at shay.net] wrote:
>
>> On 8/8/07, Don Smith <dcsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't it true that there is more vbi data available than this. My
>>> understanding is that local pbs stations broadcast a full lineup for all
>>> channels many days in advance.
>>>
>> Yes, this is what powers the TV Guide on Screen service in some
>> VCR's/DVR's.  This data comes from Gemstar and is redistributed by
>> local PBS stations typically.  Unfortunately, this data is encrypted,
>> and to get the keys/data formats, you must acquire a license from
>> Gemstar.
> Is there any way to view the encrypted data stream with
> an ATSC tuner card?

I'm sure you're just interested in seeing if it's there, but in case
someone else gets ideas, I think it should be said:

Please don't try to crack it.  If you do try to crack it, please don't
talk about it here.  Also note that anything you make that circumvents
the technological protection measures will /not/ be added to MythTV.
And, considering this is in the US, you may want to review the DMCA.

Mike