[mythtv-users] "Ultimate" MythTV remote setup?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 01:30:23 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, Mark Lehrer <mark at knm.org> wrote:
> OK my wife has thrown down the gauntlet - get an easier-to-use remote
> setup or get rid of the entire home theater setup.  Has anyone out
> there found the ultimate remote control for a setup like mine?
>
> What I have currently:
>
> TV, receiver, Dish PVR, MythTV - normal operation requires 2 remotes
> plus RF keyboard for Myth.
>
> What I would love:
>
> 1 remote that can work for normal day-to-day operations - easy enough
> that an Amish person can figure it out.  I don't mind breaking out the
> keyboard or unit-specific remotes for things like configuring
> speakers, or mythtv command line settings, but nobody other than me
> should ever have to do this.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I don't mind replacing any or all equipment that I have, for example I
> think most of my devices only have a toggle for on/off, which makes it
> completely impossible to keep power in sync for the TV and receiver.
> Also, my 1st-gen HDTV has a VGA & component input, so it may not be
> possible to find a receiver that can handle video switching properly.
> This requires a remote that I can program.  My Sony "universal" remote
> doesn't do DVR well at all, and switching components requires holding
> the button in for like 5 seconds, not really user friendly.  Of
> course, a remote that requires me to buy Windows in order to program
> is not acceptable.

I have a URC MX-500, which I love but doesn't have the ability to be
programmed via a PC, though it can learn every button from the
original remote.

My friend just got the Harmony 720 from costco and it looks promising,
its not overly small with too many small buttons, but it is
programmable. my friend likes it so far.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!