[mythtv-users] Safe online CC Payments (Was Re: Supporting schedulesdirect.org)

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 14:07:50 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Aug 7, 2007, at 1:48 PM, Braindead wrote:
>
> > Well, I guess it's by by to MythTV for me.  I had too many problems
> > with PayPal in the past, I'm certainly not going to get an account
> > or otherwise use their services now (no way am I giving them a CC
> > number that's for sure).
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned, the broadcasters should be paying for this
> > as.  I doubt anybody thinks that Time Warner (for example) isn't
> > making money hand over fist.  I suppose some people are so hooked
> > on TV that they'll pay, but there is nothing on TV that I can't
> > live without, in particular if I can't record it and watch at my
> > convenience.
> >
> > I don't mind supporting open source projects (I have two on
> > Sourceforge myself), but paying to get TV listings? Not me.
> >
> > I may try some alternatives, but most likely I'll just use the Myth
> > box to play videos, listen to music and the like.
>
> Let me be the first to say, "Seeya, Braindead." No one is forcing you
> to use the schedulesdirect listings. It's just a convenient way to
> get listings without any work on the part of end users. Nothing is
> stopping you from getting your own scheduling information in whatever
> way and using it with MythTV.

Agreed.  Many people seem to be extremely concerned about paying using
paypal based on bad previous experience or stories they've heard.  In
my opinion, this is more of a concern for the devs, since most of the
hassle with Paypal has always been getting your money back OUT, not so
much in the way of fraudulent charges.   That's their concern though,
not yours.

For people paying, there are several extremely safe options, one even
works for someone with no credit card at all.

The easiest method if you already have a major credit card, is to just
check and see if your credit card offers "Safe Shopping" or "Virtual
Card" numbers.  These are temporary numbers authorized for a limited
amount of money and are offered by most major providers (CitiBank,
MNBA, etc).  These limit potential damages to a set amount.  I
personally use these numbers whenever I have to make any online
transaction to any non-major corporation.  Many providers will allow
you to designate a certain number and maximum size of transaction as
well, so you could set up the card for a years worth of use, putting
an expiration date as a year from now and marking the card for $60
dollars in no more than 4 transactions.

If you don't have a credit card, or your credit card does not offer
those options, VISA will directly offer a multitude of options in the
form of VISA gift cards.  If you don't have a card, they are offered
at most major banks and even a lot of stores (Got a Wal*Mart near
you?) for cash.  Just take $15 for the first three months, or $60 for
the year to a bank and buy a prepaid VISA card, and use that with
paypal.  No muss, no fuss.  If you have a credit card, you can even
buy them online.  More information here:
http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/prepaid/index.html

Basically, on the consumer side, there's no reason to be afraid of
anything shopping online, it's just a matter of exercise the proper
precautions to limit your liability.

Ry