[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Aug 10 15:34:32 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2007, at 7:59 AM, Brett Kosinski wrote:
>> Meanwhile, I'd just as soon never have a CC with a $15K limit.  Who
>> wants a 15K loan at ~18% (or more) interest?
>
> This is getting OT, but I'll tell you why you might want a card with
> a $15K limit: Your credit score.
>
> A big part of your credit score is the ratio between your available
> credit and the amount of credit you're using.  The theory is if you
> max out your cards, that shows irresponsibility; but if you use only
> a small portion of the credit available to you, that shows you're a
> responsible borrower.
>
> I once had a Firestone credit card with a $500 limit.  I had some
> front end work done on my car and paid with the card, running up
> about $450 in charges.  This seemed like  a great deal because it was
> zero interest for six months; but it really dinged my credit score
> for a while, because I'd maxed out that card.

Waaaay OT, but the fact that you max'ed the card is not the dinger on
your credit score. It's whether you *carried* that max for any period.
If your history showed that balance for the six months, then *that*
would hurt.

If you paid off the charge ASAP, then it shows that you can handle large
amounts responsibly too.

Geoff