[mythtv-users] DRM Music on it's last legs - Another predictioncomes true ahead of schedule.

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Aug 11 14:42:40 UTC 2007

On Aug 11, 2007, at 7:31 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> don't be so quick to knock CD's, for most music they're perfectly
> fine.
>
> The problem is not the technology but the implementation and lack of
> quality control.
>
> For instance, from what I understand, there are under 10 consumer
> level CD players that actually completely conform to the Red Book
> standard, all are considered "Audiophile grade" and cost upwards of
> and beyond the $1000 mark. The rest just "fake it", they do a good
> enough job for most people, some do an excellent job for those of us
> picky enough.
> I've yet to hear one of these full Red Book standard compliant
> players, but I have listened to some very fine CD recordings through
> some amazingly nice stereos and was blown away at the detail and
> presence that can be held in a properly mastered CD.
>
> That said, I love my collection of SACD and DVD-Audio discs...

I'm not quick to knock CD's. I live with a producer/recording/
mastering engineer and have a studio in the house. I thought CD's
were just fine until I heard an original 96k 48bit recording, then
heard it on vinyl, then on CD out of the same monitors. I was pretty
amazed. I had been listening to CD's and MP3's for several years and
forgot how music was supposed to sound. Now that I've had that
comparison, I hear the low quality all the time with digital music
and I don't have especially good ears. (No, I can't tell the
difference between 48bit 96k and analog tape. They sound exactly the
same to me.) I know it sounds elitist, but CD's are a far cry from
what you're supposed to be hearing. It's a shame consumers have been
taught to settle.