[mythtv-users] Can only connect to mysql as localhost

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Sun Aug 12 00:26:26 UTC 2007

I have diagnosed this and am convinced it is strictly a mysql
configuration problem.

I have a mythtv BE/FE one one box in working order. I want to put remote
FEs on other machines. I had this working before but reinstalled my myth
box. Of course I've forgotten how.

I have granted all on mythconverg.* to mythtv at
"192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0". I have selected from the mysql.user table and
those privileges are in there.

I change my database ip in mythsetup from localhost to either the ip addr
or the BE's name. myth loses its connection when I do this and gets OK
when I change it back to localhost.

But here's the interesting thing. Consider the results when I try
connecting with mysql from three machines:

Connection command line was the same from each test host:

  mysql -h xena -u mythtv -p mythconverg

1. From the myth FE/BE (xena) newly upgraded: failure to connect to
'localhost'

2. from my laptop (gypsy) never configured to be a remote FE: failure to
connect to 'gypsy'

3. from a workstation previously successfully configured to be a remote FE
to the old mythtv installation: success!

I've compared the /etc/my.cnf from the successful machine and the others.
No difference. Also, nothing special in the environment variables on the
working machine.

So I'm thinking, there is some configuration on the client machine that
makes this connection possible over tcp/ip, even if the client is on the
same machine as the backend.

OR something broke in mysql between mythdora 3.2 and 4.0, which is
unlikely because the mythdora mailing list would be awash in complaints,
which it isn't.

Does anyone know what I need to do to make the FE/BE mysql see itself over
tcp/ip?

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer