[mythtv-users] Global guide key binding that works with live tv

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Aug 12 17:18:50 UTC 2007

On 08/12/2007 09:05 AM, Matt Doran wrote:
> I've searched the list, and seen a number of people ask this question
> .... but without any answers.
>
> I'd like to setup a key on my remote to bring up the guide no matter
> where I am in myth.  If I setup the key to use the jump point, ... it
> behaves badly when watching live tv (no preview and exits TV).  So I
> just have the "guide" button on my remote mapped to "S", and lose the
> global behavior.
>
> Is it possible to have a global guide jump point, but get the normal
> guide behavior in live tv (e.g. the S key)??
>
> I've tried a few things without success.  I'm using svn trunk.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/266482#266482
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/273180#273180 (whole
thread)

and

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/266483#266483 (for the
desired approach, which is only partially coded at this point)

Note that the patches in #3363 and #3642 will both allow you to do what
you want, but #3363 won't be going into Myth.  #3642 may, or--if
not--some slightly simplified version of it will.

Basically, the /only/ place where it makes sense for a jump point to not
perform its "normal" behavior is the guide jump point when in LiveTV, so
for this one situation, the code that handles the jump point should take
the right action (and send you to the LiveTV guide) rather than its
current behavior.

Mike