[mythtv-users] Rigging Channel Lineup

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Aug 13 17:57:42 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 18:05 -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:

> Thanks, that helps. Although I thought that the sub-channel was being
> referenced by 'serviceid' in the channel table.

Only when there is no ATSC major an minor or when 'quick tuning' is
enabled. The 'serviceid' is a less reliable than the ATSC tuning info.

> And the problem is that it is not 'more orderly' in Canada. In fact,
> that is the problem. None of the digital channels in the Greater
> Toronto/Golden Horseshoe area (except for Buffalo PBS (WNED) 3 channels)
> are 'called' by a channel.subchannel name which matches the tuning
> channel they are actually on...For example CBLTDT 5.1 (the digital
> version of CBLT analog channel 5) is broadcast on real channel 20.

This is the norm in the USA.

> I suspect that this will be problem for a couple of years, until we
> become comfortable with the new channel naming conventions.
>
> I know that making schema changes is not encouraged, but given the
> upcoming SchedulesDirect changes, maybe adding an ordering field to the
> channel table would be useful...An arbitrary (float) value. It is clear
> that 'channum'/ lt_smart does not work as implied by the
> 'ChannelOrdering' choices.

I would prefer in order:
 * improve lt_smart to allow '12_1', '12.1', etc. to be treated as a
   floating point number.
 * add a new sorting method in addition to lt_smart and lt_callsign
 * add a sort value to the schema.

I think either of the first two options would work for example.

-- Daniel