[mythtv-users] Un-watchable Mythtv

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Aug 14 18:29:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 05:14:56PM +0000, jphughes at optonline.net wrote:
>    I recently installed Myth TV on Fedora 7 updated to 2.6.22.1-41 FC7
>    kernel. Hardware is a Intel Pentium 4 2.88Ghrz processor with an
>    Nvidia 5200 video card connected to a Samsung SyncMaster 20 inch
>    LCD monitor via DVI. Running Nvidia driver version 100.14.111. I am
>    using two Hauppauge cards a 250 and a 150 connected to SD cable box
>    and direct cable.
>
>    When viewing TV or recorded TV the picture is very jerky and looks
>    like everything is running in fast forward mode, the crawl on
>    sports and news channels runs very fast and is blurry. I have read
>    through many threads and have tired a variety of settings and
>    changes to no avail. So I have come here to ask your help. Thanks

Ok; that's pretty good background.

Is this a new install, or did it *used* to work?  If the latter, did
you (or some automatic updater daemon) change anything?

If it's a new install, try viewing some of the MPG files created by
recording with mplayer, both on Linux, and if you can, on a Windows
machine where mplayer plays *other* MPG2 files properly -- this is an
excellent general debugging technique, BTW.

Additionally, check your front-end log file to see if there are any
informative messages.

Can you play non-Myth videos on the machine?

Cheers,
-- jra