[mythtv-users] Hiper HMC-2K53A-H2 First Impressions (Awesome HDfrontend)

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Wed Aug 15 16:49:45 UTC 2007

MythTV User wrote:
> I tried installing Pluto (plutohome.com) on my HMC-2K53A. I was
> scanning internet for potential VFD drivers (as many of you also seem
> to have done) and noticed the DM140GINK appearing in one of their
> plug-in's. Much to my surprise, the VFD fired up and worked like a charm.
>
> Pluto is Debian based and open source so for someone a tad more
> technical then me I am sure it will be very easy to extract the driver
> from the code and plug in to MythTV (which also is a part of Pluto by
> the way).
Can you see what you have in /etc/lcdproc.conf (or where ever your
config is) and attach it? I would think that pluto would be using a
patched lcdproc instead of driving the vfd directly. I tried
plutohome.com and it was down on my end.

> I am not exactly thrilled to use Pluto as it is very difficult to
> configure with lshwd and lsusb failing due to that broken USB port.
> What I want is to run the 2.6.22-git16 and a nice simple MythTV and
> the VFD working.
This is what I am running, would also like to get the VFD going. I am
waiting for Dave Walker to email me the usb sniff log he has on the VFD
protocol. He was out of town at the time I asked.

- James