[mythtv-users] Building a new MythTV box for the living room

Joacim J jocke4news at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 19:42:36 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am thinking of building a new MythTV box for use in the living room and
therefore need to keep the noise low. I have never used a VIA EPIA card but
it's tempting to build the system on that.
So we assume that I are building on VIA EPIA platform...

Reqs:
- min 100 Mbit Ethernet card (built in)
- Dual monitors...
  + 32" CRT TV (scart/s-video)
  + 7" LCD Monitor (VGA)
- Sound...
  + SPDIF to Logitech 5.1 system
  + RCA to CRT TV
- Playing...
  + DVDs
  + Music (MP3 from server)
  + Movies (AVI/ISO/.. from server)
- Recordings (on the server via Samba/NFS)

I have not decided if I want the MythTV backend on the server (available) or
the backend on the client.

* I have looked at VIA EPIA MII12000, would that be a good choice or do you
recommend other (what do you have)?
* Would that be able to run both frontend/backend?
* Is it compatible with Kubuntu/MythTV?
* Would you recommend CompactFlash or harddrive if a frontend only box?

I appreciate any guidance in this!
--
Regards
Joacim