[mythtv-users] How to use SVN for most recent improvements

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Aug 15 22:07:00 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 15/08/07, scott at tbwifi.ca <scott at tbwifi.ca> wrote:
>> Thanks Nick,
>>
>> That's exactly what I was after.  Does the svn command just place a
>> tarball in the directory that the command was executed from?
>
> No - it will download the source files individually and place them
> into the correct directory structure for you. Subversion 'versions'
> your checkout to allow quick future updates, and there will also be
> .svn directories created when you checkout containing a second clean
> version of the source. This is very useful for when you develop your
> own code and use more of Subversion's features, but you don't need to
> pay any attention to it if you're just downloading.
>
> If you want to update the source to the latest version, you just run
> 'svn update' in each of the checkout directories created when you
> first checked-out the code.
>
> All svn information can be found in the online book at
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Ouch. Going off at half cock. SVN builds don't work properly on an unmodified
Mandriva installation (64-bit) because the ./configure script doesn't properly
reference the 64-bit library directories for some reason.

I got round it by changing my /etc/ld.so.conf to:

include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
/lib
/lib64
/usr/lib
/usr/lib64
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt3/lib64
/usr/lib/qt3/lib

Then rerunning ldconfig. Probably overkill, but it allowed me to build Myth and
that is the main objective. I ought to try and find out the proper way to fix
this problem, bites me every time.

Note to the above - doing the above may cause strange things to happen if you
build other packages. YMMV. I built mine using --prefix=/usr, which is a
practice frowned upon here, but allowed me to use the vanilla Mandriva scripts
in /etc/init.d to start and stop the back end servers.

Mike Perkins