[mythtv-users] Mythvideo: Internal Player, mplayer or Xine which is prefered?

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 22:49:31 UTC 2007

> > 1. does the Internal player can handle avi's etc. with external
> > subtitles (in separate files like srt,sub)?
>
> No idea.

I just tested with yesterdays SVN ... nothing happens, no ides how to
turn the subtitles on.

> > 2. does it work with mkv?
>
> Yes, at least in SVN.

it plays mkv, but it depends on many things as I can see. I have a mkv
with a few subtitles and a 6 channel sound ... Internal gives me no
sound at all, and I cannot choose subtitles. Mplayer does it all
without any problems.

I just tested another MKV file which two 6ch AC3 audio streams...
I can change in OSD menu between these two streams and that is great.
But both streams are recognized as "Unknown 2ch AC3" although both
have names (eng,ger) and both are 6ch.

> > 3. does it work with multiple sound streams in mkv?
>
> No idea.

still thanks.

and one more thing which I do not like about Internal is OSD ... it
looks great, but it looks pretty distorted if the file has a "smaller"
resolution ... OSD is stretched and it does not look good any more.

and most of the options in the OSD Menu are pretty useless if someone
uses Internal for watching movies, because such things are not
available in the the movies: teletext, editing, jump to...,
converting, skip commercials...

I am not criticizing Internal, but Mplayer (and probably Xine) are at
the moment much better for MythVideo. and much more flexible.

M.