[mythtv-users] Upgrading from really old version

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 16 00:59:36 UTC 2007

On 08/15/2007 07:19 PM, Dan Brown wrote:
> So, here's my situation.  A few years back I took the MythTV plunge, and
> after the usual half-enjoyable, half-annoying struggles to get it
> working, it's been working perfectly ever since.
>
> It's been working so well, in fact, that I've paid absolutely no
> attention to upgrading it until recently, when the growing list of
> features and bugfixes, plus the Zap2It issue, have made me think I've
> been putting this off for too long.
>
> The challenge, then, is to get my ancient 0.18 install (yes, I know, I
> really should have been upgrading over the years) up to date.
>
> I'm able to find lots of info on upgrading from more recent versions to
> the latest.  I'm a little nervous about whether this information applies
> to my situation.
>
> So, a few questions to any experts out there.  Feel free to point to
> wiki pages, threads, etc that I might have missed.
>
>  - Can I upgrade straight to the latest version,

Yep.

>  or do I need to try to
> find older versions and upgrade in stages?

Nope.  Doing so would only add more steps where the person doing the
upgrade could potentially make mistakes.  :)

>   I'm concerned here
> particularly with database conversion issues.

No problems.  As of today, you could upgrade from 0.14 to SVN trunk
without any special DB upgrade procedures--the upgrade would just be
done automatically as you start up mythtv-setup, mythbackend, or
mythfrontend.

>  - Any pointers on a specific sequence of steps I should take?  I don't
> need handholding in terms of getting my Debian packages updated, etc...
> just a broad understanding of what pieces to upgrade in what order, what
> magic commands I need to type to do what mysterious things to my
> database, etc.

1) catch up on all the release notes (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Release_Notes_-_0.19 and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Release_Notes_-_0.20
2) shut down mythfrontends, mtd's, mythjobqueues, mythbackends
3) upgrade mythtv, mythplugins, and myththemes on all hosts
4) run mythtv-setup on the master backend and adjust settings as desired
5) run mythbackend on the master backend
6) run mythfrontend on the master backend and adjust the settings as
desired, if appropriate (unless it's a dedicated backend that doesn't
run mythfrontend)
7) repeat steps 4 - 6 for all other hosts (fixing backend (mythtv-setup)
settings for mythbackends and mythjobqueues and frontend settings for
mythfrontends and mtd's)

> Thanks for any info you can give.  My WAF depends on you!

Hope it helps.

Mike