[mythtv-users] How to use SVN for most recent improvements

scott at tbwifi.ca scott at tbwifi.ca
Thu Aug 16 14:40:23 UTC 2007

> Ouch. Going off at half cock. SVN builds don't work properly on an
> unmodified
> Mandriva installation (64-bit) because the ./configure script doesn't
> properly
> reference the 64-bit library directories for some reason.
>
> I got round it by changing my /etc/ld.so.conf to:
>
> include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
> /lib
> /lib64
> /usr/lib
> /usr/lib64
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> /usr/lib/qt3/lib64
> /usr/lib/qt3/lib
>
> Then rerunning ldconfig. Probably overkill, but it allowed me to build
> Myth and
> that is the main objective. I ought to try and find out the proper way to
> fix
> this problem, bites me every time.
>
> Note to the above - doing the above may cause strange things to happen if
> you
> build other packages. YMMV. I built mine using --prefix=/usr, which is a
> practice frowned upon here, but allowed me to use the vanilla Mandriva
> scripts
> in /etc/init.d to start and stop the back end servers.
>
> Mike Perkins

Mike,

I've used your approach and was able to compile both mythtv and
mythplugins from SubVersion.  Take note that I changed my ld.so.conf to
match yours, and commented out the old lines.  I suspect that I need to
add back in the line from the howto below as I'm getting an error:

mythbackend: error while loaded shared libraries: libmythtv-0.20.so.0:
could not open shared object file: no such file or directory.

4.2 Shared-Library requirements for MythTV
Modifying /etc/ld.so.conf
The runtime manager for shared libraries, /lib/ld.so, gets information
about the locations and contents of shared libraries from
/etc/ld.so.cache, a file created by ldconfig from information in
/etc/ld.so.conf. Because MythTV installs some shared libraries in
/usr/local/lib, that directory needs to be added to the list of
directories for ld.so to search when doing runtime linking of programs, if
it is not already there. You do this, as root, by editing /etc/ld.so.conf,
then running ldconfig. There are many ways to do this; one that works is
to enter this series of commands:

$ su -
# echo /usr/local/lib >> /etc/ld.so.conf
# /sbin/ldconfig
# exit
$

Did you need to do this?