[mythtv-users] New Mac Mini as frontend

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 13:05:20 UTC 2007

On 8/18/07, Wade Maxfield <mythtv at hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> >I know I might be repeating some of my questions but it is truly needed.
> >I'm on my way to buy the new mac mini and use as frontend.
> >
> >Now, does anyone know if the Hauppauge PVR-500 remote works under OS X
> >in some way or do I have to install a linux system in order to get this
> >to work?
> >
> >Also, any tips on how to get the video signal to 2 displays without
> >having to change cables all the time? Projector and LCD TV that is?
> >
> >If anyone has experience with the mac mini as frontend, please tell me
> >your solution for a remote.
> >
> >Regards Seb
>
> I haven't got a PVR-500 remote, but if it is similar to the
> Microsoft/eHome MCE remote then I don't know any way to currently use
> it with OS X.  I have the standard MCE remote, and while the receiver
> can be used (with Mira or Remote Buddy) the remote itself has no
> drivers (yet).
>
> I've just been using a G4 mini for a frontend with OS X, which I've
> just replaced with an Intel Mini. On the G4 I used the Apple Remote,
> with a MCE USB receiver and Remote Buddy.  With the Intel mini, I'm
> using the Apple remote and no extra software (although I might go
> back to Remote Buddy for the extra options/launching apps/force
> quitting/etc)
>
> Linux might be your only option at this point in time...
>
>   - Wade

I have an 1st gen intel mini with the 1.83 duo processor, and put
Linux on it for a standalone backend/frontend at my girlfriends, I'm
using an usb hd tuner and an external hd for recordings.  I am very
happy with this solution, it works great.  I bought a MCE Remote kit
off of ebay and I'm using the USB receiver and either the MCE remote
or our TV remote (in the cable mode, which I added the lirc configs,
so both remotes .work).  I like this system so much I am thinking of
getting one of the new 1.83 ($200 cheaper then what I paid!) to
replace my loud underpowered hd frontend at home.  If it's going to be
a dedicated myth box, Linux is definitely a good option over OSX