[mythtv-users] Has anyone tried the new release of LinuxMCE yet?

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 19:30:04 UTC 2007

On 8/17/07, Paul Huber <paul2004x at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Plug and play...
>
> There is a database that maps vendor/model ID's to device templates, which,
> for pvr cards, have rules about how to configure those cards in mythtv.  If
> it's not auto-detected, you can still configure it the regular way in
> myth-setup, so you don't lose anything.  If the vendor/model id is in the
> database you will see a message that says "TV Tuner detected", and it works
> out of the box without configuring.  The video wasn't faked, and everything
> I did worked as shown.  Admittedly since LinuxMCE is new it doesn't have a
> breadth of pnp cards, but in those cases you just use myth setup or provide
> the vendor/model id so it can be added to the pnp database.  I do think that
> since making cards pnp makes the install so much faster and easier the best
> approach is just to expand the pnp database rather than get too frustrated.
>
> As far as I/R control, it supports USB UIRT, IRTrans and Tira out of the
> box.  But you can still add other devices, you just have to do it the
> regular way rather than being pnp.
>
> Regarding using serial devices to control your A/V gear, this is *MUCH*
> better than using infrared.  I'm sure you've noticed that i/r isn't 100%
> reliable, and can be slow.  I did use serial control for the sharp tv and
> yamaha receiver in the demo.  But the Vizeo tv didn't have serial, so it was
> controlled with i/r, and it did work out of the box.
>
> The only lighting control that's totally pnp in LinuxMCE is ZWave.  If you
> have a ZWave dongle the videos in the setup wizard guide you through the
> process of pairing lamp modules and flashes them inidividually so you can
> identify.  Other lighting control, like X10, EIB, etc., is done by adding
> the lights in the admin panel.
>
> Sorry if it didn't work for you out of the box, and that the list of pnp
> hardware is still limited, but most users have said that when they do have
> compatible hardware LinuxMCE is the easiest to get going with Myth and it
> does work out of the box.
>
> Paul

Don't take my original reply to this thread as me bashing LinuxMCE.  I
think it's a very promising project and it has some really kick ass
features.  It's based around MythTV, which is of course a huge plus.
And it run's on Ubuntu which for me is also a big plus.

My only complaint about it is the video (both the original the new
one) seem to be a little misleading.  Sure it's not a lie and
everything you say is true.  Yes, everything can work out of the box,
if you meet all the some-what strict hardware requirements to achieve
total pnp.  I just think that the video gives people the idea that
they can install LinuxMCE and they will have an htpc exactly like the
one in the video in the matter of an hour or so.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally planning on installing this new
version on an XPC I have in the living room.  I may end up getting the
suggested remote from the wiki, and will probably get a usb uirt as
well.  I do not have high hopes to be able to have a nice
LinuxMCE-video-like interface in one afternoon however.

IMHO, I think LinuxMCE will be a great product, as it matures.  I just
think pushing the thought of "this all works out of the box" is not
very fare to people watching the video is all.

-Bill