[mythtv-users] OT: Help selecting PCI SATA card

mythtvuserslist.20.jisme at spamgourmet.com mythtvuserslist.20.jisme at spamgourmet.com
Mon Aug 20 08:45:18 UTC 2007

[Resent from spamgourmet as I think hotmail eat my message and I had
something to add anyway]
Here is something to note about SATA drives:
SATA drives use a different power connectector then a PATA drive (More
Info Here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA#Cables_and_connectors )
and if the computer was built before SATA connectors were manufactured
your computer's power supply may not have the right connector to use it.
If that is the case you would need to find a converter if one exists or
buy a new power supply.

Also a note about converters:
On http://www.priorityelectronics.com/ultra/ccd-st-101l.htm it says
"Converts parallel ATA hard drive to Serial ATA" which I think means
it's for putting PATA drives in computers with SATA ports.
If I recall right I had looked for converters before and those type were
all I could find, there weren't any to use SATA drives with PATA
connections. Things could have changed since then though.
Justin

 > Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 20:46:47 -0700
 > From: yanfali at gmail.com
 > To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
 > Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] OT: Help selecting PCI SATA card
 >
 > On 8/4/07, Harry Orenstein <holists at verizon.net> wrote:
 > > This is definitely off topic for this list, but I think that this
is a good
 > > place to ask, so...
 > >
 > > I have a MB (Asus A7V8X-X) that does not have SATA ports and only
supports PCI
 > > cards. I want to add storage to be able to keep more recorded
programs, so I
 > > bought a 500GB SATA HD. The question is, what is the best SATA
chipset for
 > > PCI? My choices are either a no-name SIL3112 card, a no-name
VIA6421 card or