[mythtv-users] so where can I buy a Cablecard Set Top Box?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Aug 20 17:18:12 UTC 2007

On Aug 20, 2007, at 10:07 AM, Meatwad wrote:
> If it were up to the CableCo's they'd rent cablecards to anyone (along
> with a HD subscription). The cabal of content producers is responsible
> for the current lack of open access. This is by design of course.

I'm not so sure the cable companies are eager for this.  They make
quite a bit of money off cable box rentals.  They fought the
CableCard mandate pretty hard, claiming it would drive up the cost of
cable boxes.

Pretty clever, if you think about it.  They have both ends covered,
now.  If it fails, they can keep the status quo.  If it succeeds,
they can raise their prices and blame the FCC.