[mythtv-users] so where can I buy a Cablecard Set Top Box?

Victor Perez spectro at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 18:30:10 UTC 2007

I don't think DCMA have anything to do with this (IANAL, thought), FCC told
them to make available an access device (POD) so any manufacturers' cable
box will work. It doesn't say anything about certification, these are rules
they made themselves to "ensure the reliability of our network". The FCC
could eventually order them to supply cablecards to any device regardless of
certification.

So, hardware manufacturer gets the cablecard standard from them with the
purpose of building a cablecard compatible device. After building it they
don't even try sending it for certification (it's not going to pass
anyways). Just request the cablecard and plug it in. Unless the certificate
number is embeded somehow in your encryption codes the device should work.

So for now it's up to SiliconDust, pcHDTV and/or Technisat... hopefuly they
read this list ;)